Friday, November 20, 2009

November update

So, despite my little "mishap", we had a fabulous show on Saturday at the Old Airport. I wasn't sure what to expect because they had a change of venue this year and I was afraid we wouldn't get the foot traffic, but the plentiful free parking seemed to have lured in both the locals and tourists alike! There was a nice mix of both!

About my "mishap"...

Well, I was scurrying about setting up my booth on Saturday morning...hanging xmas stockings for display etc. While cutting the ribbons to hang the stockings from, I missed the ribbon and took a BIG bite out of my finger with my Fiskar scissors. Not nice sharp-edged pointy scissors...but thick, blunt-edged, (yet sharp), scissors.

note* this may be a good time to have the squeemish leave the room.

I knew immediately that it was a bad cut. I felt the force with which I had tried to sever my finger! That and the fact that blood pumped out of my finger in tune to the rhythm of my heart.

I was so glad that I had already set up my silk tissue totes to sell because I knew I couldn't wrap the finger in burlap so I grabbed one of the packs of Kleenex out of a tissue tote and wrapped my finger tightly. The girl next to me offered me her chair because she said the color all drained out of my face and she thought I was going to hit the ground! Someone offered me a band-aid but I knew it was too bad for a little band-aid. But I wasn't about to leave before my show even started and go to the ER. I had worked too hard preparing for that show! So I just got fresh tissue, wrapped it tight and held my clenched fist close to my body above my heart for most of the day.

When we got home, it took a bit of soaking before I could get to the wound and see how bad it was. The scissor blades are so wide that even though I didn't actually cut a chunk of flesh away, it had left a crater in my finger that would not close up. So I let Menehune Man finish his cigar, since I had lasted that long already, and then had him drive me to the urgent care.

In the end, the dr. didn't want to put stitches in because he said there was nothing to "stitch it to". I hope I made the right decision to accept his opinion. To tell you the truth, he didn't instill much confidence in me for that clinic. It seems that the first two dressings that he requested my finger be wrapped in, the clinic had quit purchasing due to the "cost" so in the end, he had his receptionist put on a ....BAND-AID! That is a $100 band-aid! And no, they do not accept my insurance!

Later, in talking to some friends who had also gone to that clinic, I have decided to not ever go there again. This is simply my own opinion, feel free to form your own, but I would not go to the Keauhou Urgent Care unless all other options were not available.

Luckily I finished my big order that was due today. Menehune Man and I delivered 225 bags to a local hotel for a big group that will be staying there in a couple of weeks. What a relief to have that off my plate! Plus it was very nice that they had the check ready and waiting for me as well!

I am also shipping off a box of bags and xmas stockings to Oahu today to the Na Mea (Native Bookstore) in Ward Warehouse. We will see how my new Kaloko bags do in Honolulu. They are small zippered bags that have coffee bag burlap on one side and fabric on the other. They have an adjustable strap that can be worn across the body, over the shoulder, or around the waist like a fanny pack. I have been using mine for about 3 weeks and love it. It holds all the necessities.
That is all for now.
A hui hou

No comments: