Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Snow on Mauna Kea


Yesterday I had to drive out to one of the hotels to deliver a tote bag that the sales department was planning to send to a client. It is about a 12 mile drive from home. Somedays, when I am out and about, I realize how much time I spend INDOORS! So yesterday I was really enjoying my drive. On the makai (ocean) side, the water was so blue! I even saw my first whale of the season! Well, sort of.... I saw its SPLASH! So at least I do know they have returned.
Winter is my favorite time of year in Hawaii. Some people think that we don't have seasons but we do. You just have to look for them. We have Jacaranda Season when those beautiful purple trees are blooming that goes until about March, we have Night Blooming Cereus season which starts in June and we have Whale Season which is usually December to April. And there are other seasons as well.
While driving to the hotel, it was so clear that there were few clouds on the mountain so I could see the fresh snow on top. There wasn't as much snow as I have seen in the past. More of a dusting I would guess, but I had to pull over and snap this photo. Hawaii is such a land of contrasts. You can have tropical landscapes AND snow! Perhaps that is one of the reasons I love it here. I enjoy contrasts! Even in my sewing. I enjoy working with burlap coffee bags because they offer a uniqueness...but give me some luscious silk and I am thrilled!
Speaking of sewing...I better get back to it.
a hui hou

No comments: