Monday, January 11, 2010

Thanks for sharing

I just want to take a sec and thank everyone who emailed me with your best and worst of 2009. I have to tell you what surprised me most! For more than half of you who wrote to me, you listed both your best and worst as the same thing. I find that so interesting.

I guess that is really making lemonade out of your lemons! I think that shows such a positive outlook. AND gives hope that none of really know what the future may bring and maybe this path we are on will lead to much needed change for a productive and healthier life even though there will be bumps along the way.

So far, for me 2010 is starting off with a bang! We had New Year's breakfast at my mother-in-law's house. Menehune Man's sister made Ozoni which is a Japanese traditional new years soup with all sorts of ingredients for a healthy and prosperous year. I am not big on fishy soup...but hey! If it can't hurt...and might help....I'll try it! I even ate the squid!


Then the fun began. I got another corporate order that sort of popped up out of nowhere. They needed 100 bags in 10 days! So I spent the first week of the year working 15 hour days sewing coffee tote bags. Last January I only made 68 bags....so far this January I am at over 100 and the month is only 1/3 over! This goal of 2010 bags in 2010 may actually be a possibility!

Last Saturday I went on a buying trip. I spent 4 hours going from farm to farm and hand selecting my coffee bags. I actually love this part of my job. Reconnecting with the farmers and hearing what a great year this has been for their coffee makes me feel good. I really feel like a partner of sorts with them. I buy their bags which reduces their cost of doing business and makes for a larger profit margin. Then I make them into bags that I can sell at a profit to me and the world continues to spin.

I have also been on a mission of sorts. I am sorting out and tossing out! I just have had it with clutter so am going through each room, and closet with Hefty bags in hand! I may have to have a garage sale, but one way or another...this stuff is gone! I rearranged my living room, washed the windows and am happy to have at least part of my house organized and looking nice.

Usually at this point of the year, I have come up with my "word or phrase of the year". It is a little ritual of mine. In the past I have used words to inspire me throughout the year such as "educate", "organize", "gratitude" and "no!" In those bygone years, I took classes, created files, purchased bins, journaled, and said "no!" more. Wow, I loved the year of "NO"! This year, though, my desires surpass a one word theme for the year. I am leaning towards something like, "aggressive growth through controlled management". My real goal is to feel in total control of my business. I hate it when it begins to control me! Truthfully, that goal probably can be summed up into one word....It just escapes me at the moment. I want to have a schedule and plan ahead to avoid crazed weeks. I want to have time to go home to see my family, keep my space neater and have pearls on when my MM comes home (*kidding*). I would even like to take one day a week off with NO SEWING! *gasp!*

Oh...I am such a work in progress. I am 48 years old and still trying to "figure it all out". But, I am having fun...and I AM making some dreams come true. So thanks for joining me on my journey. Buckle up!






a hui hou

No comments: