Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Handpainted Eco-Friendly Sasaki Bag



I am so excited! A couple of months ago I first spoke to a very talented young artist (Stephanie Bolton) regarding doing a collaboration. For months, I have had this dream of introducing a line of handpainted original "wearable" works of art. Those who follow my blog know I have made some bags by taking my rotary cutter to finished art pieces, but I really wanted something that I could request specifically from an artist I knew. Today I finished our first joint effort. This bag was a custom order but is a preview of what is to come in 2009. I will be keeping these bags very "one of a kind" and rare so we will be only creating a small quantity of collectible handbags. There will be smaller sizes as well featuring a polynesian style of artwork by Stephanie.

This painting is absolutely beautiful! It features a voluptuous island woman lying on a lauhala mat, leisurely stringing a plumeria lei. There is a lavish spread of local fruits nearby including pineapple and papaya. There is a seawall in the back drop with coconut palms nestling against it. The deep blue of the ocean and the sky remind me that it is about time I go to the beach again...soon!

This bag was sewn onto an eco-friendly, recycled Kona coffee burlap bag and lined with a cheery red and white aloha print cotton fabric, according to the customer's specifications.

Keep an eye out for more of these wonderful bags.
a hui hou

No comments: