Friday, June 20, 2008

Kealakekua



For now the bag I made yesterday is just a prototype. But in case I decide to make more, I decided to name it. I name most of my Coffee Bags after areas in Kona (since this is Kona Coffee Country!) For instance, the Kukio Bag is a beach bag and is named after a beach resort that is only about 8 miles from my house. It is one of my favorite beaches on this island. There is sand, palm trees, grassy areas, kiawe trees, clean bathrooms with showers and it has a protected cove that makes for safe ocean swimming! I rarely "swim" but I like to be able to cool off in the water without being pummeled by waves. So that is my Kukio Bag!

The Kainaliu Bag is named after a wonderful little town "up mauka" (towards the mountain). It has turned into quite an artsy little community with some fun shops and galleries. Of course Kimura's fabric store which is something of a landmark can be found in Kainaliu. My husbands family had a service station there for about 40 years. They just closed it down last September so that my dear 88 year old mother-in-law would retire! She is such a hard working woman.

The Kealakekua Bag is similar to the Kainaliu bag but it is larger. So since Kealakeua, Hawaii is close to Kainaliu, Hawaii...but larger.....well, that is how I came up with this bag's name! I have to make it simple for ME to remember, too!

I decided (probably against my better judgement) to show my new bag next to a real live woman so you can see how big it is....THE BAG! No comments about the beautiful witty, charming woman (yes, it's me!) So without further adieu...

Tell me what you think. Does it help to see the bag on a person? Sometimes I forget that you may not be able to see the size of a bag when it is in a light box or hanging on my plumeria tree.

No comments: