Friday, February 20, 2009

Menehune

I bought an extra machine because my business is at a point that I can not afford to be without my sewing machine when Sven goes to the spa (for those of you who don't know, Sven is my Swedish sewing machine, the spa is the repair shop....but shhhh don't tell him) So this week I gave my husband a quick lesson on how to use a sewing machine so that he can do some of my prep work. Simple zigzagging the burlap so it doesn't unravel before I get to make it into a bag, cutting straps and sealing the ends etc. Tuesday I was out and about all day and when I got home, there was a pot of spaghetti on the stove....which by the way, I did not put there! and (here is the biggie) my DH was in the sewing studio zipping through my stacks of burlap! In Hawaii there are legends of the Menehune. They are often mischievious but helpful little imps that sneak in during the night and accomplish mountains of work. So, little wonder why I call Earl my Menehune!

For those of you wondering how on earth I got my husband to sew....its like this...My husband like most men, loves power tools. He has many and is quite a skilled craftsman working with wood. He makes koa music boxes and even some furniture. So I simply explained to him how a sewing machine is "just another power tool". Instead of ripping wood apart on a table saw....you are sewing fabric together. He bought the idea! Or maybe, he just sees how busy I am and is really a great guy who wants to help me see my dreams come true. I kind of like to believe the latter.

Off to the sweat shop!
a hui hou

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT GUY!!!