Thursday, August 13, 2009

Growing Pains

Remember when you were little and any aches and pains were explained as being "growing pains"? Well, these days, it isn't my body that is experiencing this, but my business! I have worked so hard and am seeing rewards in many ways yet it has come to a point where I have to grow. My wholesale accounts are doing an amazing job of selling my bags and my Etsy store is keeping up a steady sales pace. But that all means that I have to spend more money! Sometimes I feel like I am just spinning my wheels because I keep putting all my profits back into more supplies! Always preparing for bigger orders. Anyone who has known me since I was a little girl knows that I am not a spender. I am a saver! I remember my sister always spending her allowance as fast as she got it and I always had a little jar of money that she would inevitably end up borrowing.
(This is me and my sis probably about grades 3 and 5 looking ever so spiffy!)
This week I opened up a couple of new wholesale accounts to buy my supplies from. I remember two years ago when I was beginning to buy fabric, I would pick out a couple fabrics and maybe splurge and wince as I told the gal to "go ahead and cut 3 yards for me." Now I am preparing to order 11 bolts from one company! I already have 29 bolts plus flat folds of fabric in my studio! But it is all different! Some of it is aloha fabric, some of it is coffee themed fabric, some is just novelty fabric, and now I have orders that require Amy Butler fabric. Why am I explaining this to you....You know how it is! Atleast I do use my stash of fabric. I know some gals who really just collect it!

I should find out by September 1st if I am going to get the order for 200-400 bags. The final count hasn't been decided yet. Just doing the supply list for that is mind boggling. Over 300 yards of fabric, 400 grommets, 300 yards of cotton webbing, 200 magnetic snaps...and the list goes on! I just pray that Sven and I stay healthy until this order is complete! (Sven is my Swedish sewing machine)

(my daughter took this photo 10 years ago when we took a trip to Maui for her graduation. I was looking pretty reflective, which is how I've been feeling again lately)

It has all been a bit nerve racking! But even with all the stress, I am still doing well on my diet. I have lost 7.4lbs in the past 3 weeks. I do believe that weight watchers is probably the most healthy and supportive way to go. I get great tips from the others at the meetings. I have quite a ways to go...but I am headed in the right direction.

I keep telling myself that you have to spend money to make money. My daughter who is a bank auditor, reinforced that mantra the other day and assured me I am doing what I need to do. It's funny how the roles switch back and forth once your children are grown and become experts in their own fields and can offer you advice!

So even though the spending is stressful to me, I believe I need to follow this path and see where it leads me. Thanks for following my journey.

a hui hou

5 comments:

Mimi said...

How exciting!! I think you are heading in the right direction also. Sounds like you may need more magnetic snaps!!??

Suzanne said...

Success really is just as scary as failure, possibly more so. At least when you have failed, you are generally already at the bottom. Once one begins to scale the heights of success, the important thing is not to look down. You have a business that is booming in difficult times and your strategy is a conservative one. Everything should pan out for you. We are all rooting for you!

Sasaki Bags said...

Mimi, you have helped me so much with getting supplies to Hawaii at a moments notice...running from store to store and even using coupons to save me a few bucks! At this point, I have found a supplier so that I don't have to call you in a panic (hopefully) in the future! Your support means so much to me.

Sasaki Bags said...

Suzanne,
When I read your words, tears filled my eyes! Thank you so much for cheering me on. I have to remember that I am a strong woman from a long line of the same and to quit doubting my success. Knowing I have people out there like you, who are rooting for me gives me the courage to push forward. Mahalo.
Barb

AhimsaFibers said...

Wow, I didn't know if I got through to you that day. I'm gland I was able to be reassuring. You are doing amazing, I'm so proud of you, and Growing Pains is exactly what it is. When your rich and famous you can hire me to stand around and give you pep talks :)