Sunday, October 24, 2010

49 years and counting...

My life has been interesting to say the least. Some of you who know me now, may not know that I first married at age 17 (nope, wasn't even pregnant!) and had two children before I could even buy a beer (at age 21)! I am no longer married to my children's father, but he will always remain a part of my history, since we were together for 18 years.

I am now 49 years old and proud to say it! I don't understand people who are ashamed of their age. Gosh, you have earned the right to say the "number"! When I was 29, a dear friend of mine passed away and I vowed to never regret growing older! That was 20 years ago. In this next year, I will be 50. Now, how on earth did that ever happen? Where did the years go?

But honestly, I feel as if I am on the cusp of a new beginning! A life yet undiscovered! Much of my life I have had the opportunity to work in luxury resorts and have met people that you only read about. One of the most surreal moments has to be when I was working a concert/dinner and Archbishop Desmond Tutu was "chair dancing" to Brian Wilson singing "I wish they all could be California girls...". As I ventured across the floor to deliver his apple juice, I was stunned when he "fist bumped" me in appreciation! Did Archbishop Desmond Tutu really just "fist bump" me? That same evening I was priveleged to serve champagne to the first woman president of an African nation, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf , of Liberia! There were secret service agents all around inspecting my tray each time I entered the room! I was aware of the importance of her attendance.

I have seen and met may movie stars and movie producers through the years. The one thing it taught me is that we are all the same...we just do different things to make a living! There are nice people and there are jerks in every walk of life! Many years ago, I was a manager at a restaurant in Silverwood Theme Park in Idaho. The placemats were our printed menus and when people would come in to take a look at the menu, I used to ask if they would like me to autograph it for them. (it cracked me up) Often, people would ask me, "well, who are you?" I would reply, "it isn't who I AM, it's who I may be someday!" Today, I am a bag maker!

Three years ago, when I began designing Sasaki Bags, I did so with an intention of making it become my livelyhood within 3-4 years. Well, that was 3 years ago and I recently committed myself to having Sasaki Bags be my sole provider of income. It is a scarey and yet exciting step forward for me, but one I take on with bravado! I feel that the time has come and it seems to be the natural "next step" for me in my business venture.

This next year is already filling up with amazing business opportunities. I stand in awe and full of excitement in anticipation of what lies ahead for me. I hope that you stop by and share in my journey that lies ahead. Life is nothing, if not for the journey!


a hui hou

4 comments:

Sue said...

I for one feel honored to know you and grateful that our livess crossed in your journey! Good luck Batb in ALL your endeavors.

Sue Fisher

Sasaki Bags said...

Oh, Sue, thank you! I love looking at all the photos you post on FB. I'm so happy for you that you are close by family now.

Barb

Sarah said...

What a wonderful post! I think your bags are clever and beautiful and I dont believe you will have any problem being successful! Good luck to you!

Sasaki Bags said...

Sarah, thank you so much for stopping by with your words of encouragement! Everyone needs a "rah!rah!" section in their life, don't you agree?!