Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chicago Screws


While I was in Idaho I stopped into a Farm and Garden store and found some Tandy leather supplies. I bought some Chicago Screws in different sizes and designs to try out. I know I can order them elsewhere in bulk but always wanted to give them a try without purchasing 500 of them!
Today I made one of my Big Kahuna bags and used the Chicago Screws to enhance the strap. They add both strength and style (IMHO). Okay, they are a little more work...but sometimes to make a better product, it is worth it! Here is a photo of the bag I made today with the new addition. What do you think?
For those of you who may not be familiar with Chicago Screws, they look pretty much like a rivet but instead of schmushing (go ahead, look it up!) the two pieces together, you poke a hole, in this case, in the webbing, slide the shank of one end into the webbing and then screw the other side into that shank. It is a neat look and adds more hardware, which appeals to many of my customers. This bag was a custom order that included the 1 1/2" O-rings attached to the straps.
a hui hou

No comments: