Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!






I hope everyone out there is having a wonderful mother's day. My daughter just sent me the best gift. Ten years ago, she was preparing to graduate from Konawaena High School and I decided to take her on our first ever "mother-daughter" get away. We flew to Maui and just had fun. It was the first time I had ever made all the arrangements and rented a car and all that "all by myself" so even though it was about her growing up and starting her own life....it was also a liberating experience for me as a single woman. We spent time on the beach, drove up to beautiful Kula, and even went horseback riding. Our butts were so sore afterwards that we barely drug our bodies to the hotel room and ate take-out KFC!

Many years have passed since then and I am so grateful that we had the chance to share a little memory with just the two of us. A month after our trip, she moved out and started mapping out her own journey which took her to many exciting places but further away from me. I now know how my own mom must have felt when I announced that I was moving to Hawaii. At the time I remember wondering why she couldn't just be happy for me...what's the big deal? Now I do know. The days slip by and turn into months and suddenly I realize its been nearly two years since I have seen my own mom. It's been eight years since I have had both my children together at one time. I miss them both so much...as only a mother could possibly know. And mom, I am glad I still have you. You are the best and what I can only strive to become....when I grow up!

No comments: