Wednesday, December 30, 2009

An alternative to resolutions

Several years ago I was working at a luxury hotel in Hawaii on New Year's Eve. I overheard a conversation with two little girls and their grandparents that has continued to touch my life. "Gramma" asked each girl, "What was the best thing that happened to you this year...and what was the worst?" Each person shared the best and the worst with each other. The message was that "you survived even the worst thing that happened...and also had something wonderful happen this year." It gave hope.

Every since that year, my siblings and myself, though separated by 1000's of miles, email each other with our "best and worst". I love this tradition much more than making resolutions. Some years it has been easy to come up with both a best and worst...other years, I had to ponder a bit longer. It isn't always something "horrible and grand".

I have already chosen my best and worst of 2009...but must wait to share until tomorrow. If anyone one else would like to "play along", please leave a comment about this past year. I would love to hear what has been going on in everyone else's lives.

a hui hou

1 comment:

Lori Storrs said...

i love this tradition! i'm going to think on it and come back.

hope all's well!